Friday, October 30, 2009

From Lional Bopage...........Comrade Haththotuwegama...

From Lional Bopage...........

I was extremely sad to hear the news of the death of Comrade Haththotuwegama. Even though I have not been in regular contact with him for some time, I was more than aware of the significant role he and his group of open theatre artists have played in raising the consciousness of the ordinary people of Sri Lanka on important social issues.
He was a Sama- Samajist at the time I first met him at Richmond College in Galle. He taught me English. I remember him being an excellent orator and was extremely popular amongst us, the college students.
By the time I was released from prison in the late seventies, Comrade Gamini had already established/founded the Wayside and Open theatre Group. I had the pleasure of meeting him on numerous occasions. I also took part in one of his workshops, which helped me innumerably when I was running/a part of the Songs of Liberation.
I still have memories of the time when some of my fellow JVP comrades took part in some of his training techniques. Their mixture of enthusiasm, interest and impatience, as they gradually shed the shackles of their rigid acting styles, will always stay with me. This led us to conceive a new drama, Milana vu Malak Nove (Not a flower withered away). This drama was based on the true life story of the late comrade Premawathie Manamperi. His techniques allowed us in a 'natural' way to get to the heart of the social issues we wished to share with our audiences, without being didactic about it. Unfortunately it was banned by the ruling party of the day.
One of his enduring qualities was that he was always a straightforward and very hospitable human being who was always socially engaged with the issues of the day. Though we did not always see eye to eye on all political issues, I never doubted his sincerity and commitment to the betterment of all the human beings who lived in Sri Lanka.
His contribution in the field of culture and in particular the theatre and English Literature was immeasurable. He will leave a void in the cultural life of the island that will be hard to fill.
I will not only remember and respect his contribution to the betterment both cultural and political to the social life of the people of Sri Lanka, but on a more personal level I will never forget the warmth of his smile which not only radiated his genuine love and interest of the people around him but for all the people who inhabit Sri Lanka.
As a fellow traveler who shares his political vision, I take this opportunity to salute him and to extend my deepest sympathy to his bereaved family and friends.

Lionel Bopage

No comments:

Post a Comment